Monday, October 12, 2015

Another Bad Mistake


Oct 9th 2014

The last time I posted was on my Trials of Trials blog in which I followed my progress on beginning to compete (ha ha) in Sporting Trials.
The main thing that I found was that as Baby-Boomer I am a bit old for getting bloody cold and wet on Sundays.
So I sold the car.

New Project
Short of a project I bought a boat, refurbished it and went sailing. This was doomed though as in my heart of hearts I knew that my feeble back couldn't stand the trauma of sitting still for an hour or so. The writing was on the wall as each time I ventured out my back killed me for a few days. We are not talking whinging little aches, but proper spasms of pain.



Another New Project
Boat sold, I saw that the Northern Phoenix Trial Club were holding a trial at Dockray just along the shores of Ullswater in the Lake District and not 15 miles from home. So I ventured along to have a look and take some video.
As bad luck would have it it was a lovely day, and even worse I discovered that Bob (who has a new-to-him car) had not sold his old one. He was not talking silly money.
I knew the car from the trials I had done and a few opinions from others revealed it was a "bit of an old nail" but very able car.


RayBax had been built by a well-regarded club member, Raymond Baxter. I had not known him, he had died before I joined. Having passed through a few hands, the last 5 years or so had seen it driven by Bob and Jeff and later just Bob.

I went to Bob's farm near Kendal for a spin and was slightly taken-aback by the car's crudity but more so by the way it romped up long steep grass hills. The Concord I'd had would have lost grip part-way up. Maybe that would have been my fault (probably) but driving in the same way this car continued up to the top.
Very encouraging.

If you had read my previous blog you would guess that I find the whole refurbishing process engrossing. In fact I find that being cuddled up in the garage bending or drilling or welding something is very enjoyable. Knocks spots off getting cold and wet.

Deal done I returned a few days later to collect the car and trailer. Bob had been making noises about not being happy with his new car and thinking he would be better off continuing with RayBax. Gamesmanship of course. He's bound to take a while to settle into the new one.



No comments:

Post a Comment