Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Brief Respite

17th August 2015

I've had the car for sale for a couple of months now.

The previous trial at Hartside had been horrific with a blizzard starting just before we did and everyone getting thoroughly soaked and frozen.
It was wrapped up at lunch after just two runs at the Hills.

This cemented my resolve to sell the car. My last few trials have either been freezing cold, windy, raining  or snowing (all four at the last one.) I was a keen sailor, but if it was raining I never used to bother going. I don't like extremes of weather.

I've had the car on some web-sites and on eBay. I did get an interested buyer who paid me a deposit, but couldn't collect straight away. Unfortunately he had to withdraw (for a good reason) and asked me to keep the deposit to cover the buggeration factor.
But it seems that I may have missed the selling season as lots of car swapping has been going on.

Anyway there was the Northern Phoenix Practice Day scheduled for Firbank, near to Sedburgh on the edge of the Dales so I thought I would take the car (in case anyone was looking for one) and to give it an airing. Sitting unused in garage doesn't do them a lot of good. Brakes seize up and things like that. It's only 20 miles from me so it made sense.

My usual passenger was working and my other passenger was attending a wedding so I went on my own (Billy-No-Mates) to see if I could get someone to sit-in for a few runs.

The Practice Day is ostensibly for Novices to get a feel for the game and for those with new (to them) cars and those who have made some mods over the summer break to try them out. The great thing is that you can please yourself. If a particular Hill is giving you trouble, you can just go around again and nail it (or try to).

It worked brilliantly for me. I drove my own car and passengered David Morris in his car (and he returned the favour) for a few runs and then David went off to mess with his engine so I got Brian Walker's passenger Mark, to sit-in for few Hills.
Then Robin Jager filled the passenger seat which was very enlightening. We have done it before at my friend's farm, but without a proper Hill set up it's difficult to know if you are achieving anything. At Firbank his advice made more sense, in a real trial setting.
He gave me some excellent tips.



 





Then as Robin had to clear off home, I was attacked by Andy McHardy who sat in and gave me some more great coaching.





It's maybe difficult for experienced drivers to remember how much there is to learn and how difficult it is to know how and when to apply different techniques.

I think the Practice Day is a great opportunity  to learn and would suggest to anyone needing some advice to leave their regular passenger at home and turn up expecting to struggle for a passenger. You could be very surprised.

(I hope I got everyone's name right. I have always been rubbish at names.)

I'm still looking to sell the car, all the training in the world won't improve the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment